Monday, August 8, 2011

M.I.A in Hawaii - part 2



Today is a day of discovery!

Kona Coffee is everywhere in Hawaii, it’s only cultivated in the North & South Kona districts of the Big Island in Hawaii. It was brought to the Kona district in 1828 by an English Merchant from Brazilian cuttings and is now one of the most expensive in the world. There are many blends including a little more commercial blends like Vanilla-Coffee etc. Every morning I would wake up to a bottle of Iced-Kona coffee so tasty!!! It’s one of the only cold coffee drinks I can drink that doesn’t upset my stomach – it’s like magic ;)
http://www.konacoffee.com/


I’m also fascinated by their Hawaiian Salt – Pink Hawaiian Salt & the Black Lava Salt http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=391 ALAEA Sea Salt is a traditional Hawaiian table salt used to season and preserve, A natural mineral called “Alae” (Volcanic baked red clay) is added to enrich the salt with iron oxide. The Black sea salt or Hiwa Kai, has activated charcoal added for visual and flavour enhancement. It also has detox mineral elements.


Today I decide I’m going to learn the Hawaiian Ukulele (pronounced ukulele). There are a few stores throughout Waikiki and all will happily provide free lessons. My favourite was the Ukulele shop at the Sheraton Hotel provided daily hour lessons, these are very popular – and very much needed. When you decide to buy an Ukulele – DON’T BUY imported cheaper brands if you really are keen to play, support Hawaiian made!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment